Friday 15 July 2016

Books This Week 18

Endless rains in my city & I'm cozying up with more than my fair share of books. Let's begin

The Girl in The Spider's Web- David Lagercrantz

I absolutely love the Millennium series & it's one of my all time favorite books. It was with more than trepidation that I picked up this sequel written by someone else. Considering the author is dead, I suppose this was inevitable. Oh! How I wish I hadn't. The characters are a watered down version of themselves & story is nothing to write home about. Mikael Blomkvist & Lisbeth Salander are 2 of my favorite literary characters & I simply can't stand to see them so helpless. If you enjoyed Steig Larsson's series, stay away from this one.

Pretty in Plaid- Jen Lancaster

What a funny book! The book's made up of stories of the author's life & what she was wearing when something poignant happened. There are also wardrobe lessons like not wearing coloured undies under white pants etc. The ending is a bit hurried though. Suddenly she goes from First Job to several years later as a married woman who has put on a lot of weight & written a few books. One time read.

Timeless Beauty- Christie Brinkley

Nice book with a lot of skincare advice thrown in & generously sprinkled with the author's perfect pictures. At 60+, she is a gorgeous woman. But she does admit to having some work done, so take the advice with a pinch of salt.

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party- Alexander McCall Smith

My weekly ration of this series. I NEED a new series as good as this one. This book describes the events leading up to Mma Matsuki's wedding & is as good as every book in this series. Just 2 more to go. Sob, sob.

Fierce Style- Christian Siriano

I remember Christian Siriano from Project Runway a few years back. He was super flamboyant & very hard working. The book though is nothing great. Amidst all the fashion advice is a healthy sprinkling of "fierce" & other slang favored by the author. To be fair, I think these slang words sound better when said out the loud with appropriate gestures & tone. In print, though, fail.

What have you been reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment